Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Trading Psychology
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Trading Psychology
Message Icon Topic: Basant's Top Ten returns 42.6% in eleven months Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 7 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Topic: Basant's Top Ten returns 42.6% in eleven months
    Posted: 01/Oct/2012 at 1:46am

We launched Basant's Corner in the last week of October 2011 with a view to help and assist investors in managing their own equity portfolios for generating above market rates of return. In this connection the return for the first 11 months have been staggering. Inclusive of dividends an equal weighted portfolio in Basant's Top Ten has returned 42.6% for its investors beating the Sensex, Nifty and all mutual funds. The highlights of Basant's Corner has been listed below for information:

• The Top 5 stocks in Basant’s Top Ten have remained unchanged while the bottom five saw three changes as we chose to move the stocks that rallied ahead of visible fundamentals out of the Top Ten into Basant's Universe.

• The approach of backing up quality companies with strong balance sheets and dominant industry positions paid off as it does inspite of what is commonly said. Majority of stocks here were not of  the low PE types but were generally companies that had earnings visibility of several years ahead.

• The idea is not to have a fixed rule of recommending one stock every week/month. The focus remains to help subscribers create a portfolio where money is made by sitting rather than by shuffling. Too bad for the brokers not so much for the investors.

• We avoided recommending risky bets in the portfolio. There is an underlying theme in the stocks that we have recommended varying from secular growth; dividend yield; turnaround both (topline and bottomline) etc.

• The Basant's  Top Ten portdolio comprises of:
  4 small caps (market capitalization less than Rs 1000 crore);
  3 mid caps (market capitalization between Rs 1000 crore and 5000 crores)
  3 large caps (market capitalization above Rs 5000 crores)

• Out of twenty companies that we have recommended in these eleven months nineteen are well above recommended price and the one which is underwater is just 4% below the recommended price. I think with this quarter's results we should have a 100% strike rate.

• The "Ask Basant" segment a section available only for the Gold 365 subscribers remains the source of close interaction with the subscribers. This section has till date generated over 3200 questions & answers (all archived) ranging from personal finance, portfolio allocation, stock specific queries both from within the stocks covered in Basant's Universe and outside it, small debates on the stocks introduced including red flags as raised by the members from time to time, feedback from members on the general product usage as generated from distributor interactions etc.

• Some people argue that most of the stocks we recommended went up because of the huge subscriber base. I disagree. No one can manipulate the markets for longer periods of time. If that were so why did Delta come down to Rs 60 after more than tripling to Rs 140? How did Ketan Parekh and Harshad Mehta lose grip on the market? Additionally we constantly review our stocks with ratings as ‘Buy’, ‘Accumulate’, ‘Hold’, ‘Reduce’ and ‘Sell’. These calls are provided on an ongoing basis. In one instance we changed the recommendation to ‘Accumulate’ from ‘Buy’ after a 50% rise and the stock went up further to double up from the recommended price. This quality company managed by the best  known people in the business is expected to move up 10 times in 10 years from here also. Call it the Dus ka Dum! Had the first 50% move been because of our subscribers buying the rise would have stopped after we put an ‘Accumulate’ rating but it did not, unlike the inferior grade businesses this stock could have been backed up by any amount of the investor's net-worth so putting more money to work was never an issue as is generally the case with bad businesses.

I do not want to predict next year's return as I always am. However I remain confident about these investments over a 3-5 year period for beating the market averages and a majority of mutual funds hands down. The idea is to try and target a 25% CAGR. Overall the focus remains to generate decent returns and help investors make money through long term investing.

Finally the bad news, the service just got 33% expensive from September 03, 2012.

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
Mayang

Quote Mayang Replybullet Posted: 01/Oct/2012 at 6:02am
It looks like Basant ji might beat Buffet return if he continue picking and recommending stock at the right time with the right price tag....! Its a threat to all other money manager .....Guys beware the good days of stock investment is back with Basant.
IP IP Logged
kazihamed
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kazihamed Replybullet Posted: 01/Oct/2012 at 6:17am
Basantji! Jai ho! I won't swap Basantji's advice with any one, including RJ. He is awesome and so sincere towards subscriber's portfolios. With Q and A section I get feeling of one big family investing together. I just hope he never stops Basant's Corner. He literally makes big difference to your life, which can be clearly quantified.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 02/Oct/2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by kazihamed

Basantji! Jai ho! I won't swap Basantji's advice with any one, including RJ. He is awesome and so sincere towards subscriber's portfolios. With Q and A section I get feeling of one big family investing together. I just hope he never stops Basant's Corner. He literally makes big difference to your life, which can be clearly quantified.

Thank you. These words mean a lot to me.
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
vidurchhabra
Groupie
Groupie

Quote vidurchhabra Replybullet Posted: 02/Oct/2012 at 3:46pm
Fantastic job,if there is one person who will honestly take you towards the path of wealth it is Basantji.
I like so many others have benefited immensely for the past year. Bedsides his great talent in picking stocks, he is honestly committed to all his subscribers, and this is a potent and rare combination. Also most importantly as we all know that he is down to earth and inspite of his success he does not let it get to his head.
WAY TO GO!
IP IP Logged
ksundareswaran

Quote ksundareswaran Replybullet Posted: 02/Oct/2012 at 6:12pm
Hi Basant,
As I go through the above comments, and I have been following your forum for some months now, I am considering to subscribe to the basic 365 pack. But I need to clarify one thing. At the time of subscribing to your basic 365 pack, one may have an existing set of holdings already. Would you also help us with weeding through that portfolio, and advising to keep some of those which may still be good long term bets, or would you be very unilateral in your advice and say we need to drop anything which is not in your top 10?
regards,
Sundar
Warm Regards,
Sundar
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 02/Oct/2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by ksundareswaran

Hi Basant,
As I go through the above comments, and I have been following your forum for some months now, I am considering to subscribe to the basic 365 pack. But I need to clarify one thing. At the time of subscribing to your basic 365 pack, one may have an existing set of holdings already. Would you also help us with weeding through that portfolio, and advising to keep some of those which may still be good long term bets, or would you be very unilateral in your advice and say we need to drop anything which is not in your top 10?
regards,Sundar

Hello, generally the concept of arranging the holdings is left upto the user in the Basic365 plan you can do that by looking at the list of stocks which we have and which we will introduce from time to time. However for Gold365 it becomes easier and possible to interact so the portfolio streamlining process is more pronounced here. Generally I do not suggest to sell everything which we do not have a writeup on if the company is ok to own and hold I would suggest the same even though you may not find it elaborately recommended by me.
IP IP Logged
bandlab1
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bandlab1 Replybullet Posted: 02/Oct/2012 at 9:48pm
Basant-ji congratuations on your fantastic achievement - again

i am planning to join the Basic 365 plan, however i have one doubt. i am a salaried empliyee and get satggered inflows, how can i build my portfolio to match your recommendation. also since you alraedy have recommended your top 10 sometime back, would it be profitable for late comers like me

thanks a lot
IP IP Logged
Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version