Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Management Interactions, Company and AGM Visits
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Management Interactions, Company and AGM Visits
Message Icon Topic: Markets move first, reasons follow later! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
MR TED

Online Status: Offline
Quote MR TED Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 2:43pm
Great Article! Rightly pointed out, market always looks for sustained earnings. A decade before, L&T n BHEL etc seemed to have sustained earnings and today its HUL n ITC. (just examples)
Rightly pointed out by Basant in one of his previous article that biggest wealth creater is a trend.
I would ask Basant and rest..this Consumer oriented trend seemed to have started in 2009, I guess. In 2 years, some midcaps and small caps have move up like never done in last 20 years. Is the market pricing in sustained earnings for say next 5 years already? I have no answers from my own research on this..expert comments?
IP IP Logged
nagpal

Quote nagpal Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 3:46pm
Gud article gives motivation.But Investable stocks are not falling in this market also.Good stocks remain expensive.Really liked the last line.
IP IP Logged
ravi123
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ravi123 Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by MR TED

Great Article! Rightly pointed out, market always looks for sustained earnings. A decade before, L&T n BHEL etc seemed to have sustained earnings and today its HUL n ITC. (just examples)
Rightly pointed out by Basant in one of his previous article that biggest wealth creater is a trend.
I would ask Basant and rest..this Consumer oriented trend seemed to have started in 2009, I guess. In 2 years, some midcaps and small caps have move up like never done in last 20 years. Is the market pricing in sustained earnings for say next 5 years already? I have no answers from my own research on this..expert comments?

Excellent question. These stocks seemed to have performed on the back of recession, rising inflation and people cutting back on their consumption. People seem to be eating rice like never before over what economists tend to see them consuming more milk, meat , chicken,etc. This trend will end soon with the old sectors taking over.
2013-2019 equity bull run like the 2003-08. Sensex to see levels of 50,000-60,000.
IP IP Logged
SK1076

Quote SK1076 Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 6:12pm
Thanks a ton Basantji for these Golden Words of wisdom
Patience PAYS/-
IP IP Logged
rohit1889

Quote rohit1889 Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 6:49pm
Very good article Basantji. Thnx
If you're prepared to invest in a company, then you ought to be able to explain why in simple language that a fifth grader could understand, and quickly enough so the fifth grader won't get bored.
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by vikskukreja

Its an insightful article. But there are few areas where my thought process differs...it will be among these distressed cos that some winners will emerge and some multibaggers will be born...and the one who now does indepth analysis and takes calculated risk will accumulate wealth over a period of time...

Page, TTK, Hawkins, Titan were not a distressed company in 2009, it still went up 8 - 20 times, Voltamp, Thermax, Blue STar were distressed bets, they went up and then came down and have performed almost in line with the Sensex.

There are no rules in this game.

Originally posted by siloni

hats off to you basantji ,for twin reasons,

Even after basant s corner,teddies are not left high and dry.

Basant's Corner is an added feature to TED it will have its own advantages but not at the cost of the forum.
Originally posted by subu76

On a slightly different note: It's really heartening to see high debt companies, bad businesees, shady business culture companies getting killed.

For the last few years it almost seemed that investors who practise discretion and stick to good businesses are losers..

That is good for serious investors. They get to differentiate themselves from the crowd.

Originally posted by conservativeinv

I would differ with you in one respect - I believe in the theory of price and time correction.  We have seen the former in 2008 and now, but have we seen the latter?

the time correction should be awfully painful.

Originally posted by FutureBull

wow Basantji!! I loved the logic, clarity of thought and your writing style. Thanks very much!! I do remember when you wrote that "it is time to bet on economic cyclicals right at the bottom of Feb-mar'09". I am just worried that we do not have any Lehmann event yet but market is down by 25% and currency 20% from the top. We should be fine if we do not have any of the events of that type again.

That is the hope.

Edited by basant - 27/Nov/2011 at 7:24pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
kmp_saij

Quote kmp_saij Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 9:04pm
This is Super article.

someone said, "man is not rational animal but he is rationalizing animal..". evrything he do try to ratioanlize. this is nature.

Indeed your article proved this perfectly. we try to find pattern when there is none likewise try to find out reasons when there is none.

thanks for sharing your insights on TED.
Own whatever’s feared, shun whatever’s beloved.
IP IP Logged
aanambi
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aanambi Replybullet Posted: 27/Nov/2011 at 10:37am
pick stocks with widemoats,good brands,zero debt and good dividend
buy in SIPs  every month (it could be just 1 share) and stay for long time minimum 10 years
avoid borrowed money and put only money that you dont need for 10 years
I practice what I say for past 3 years,my portfolio have given me 50% return even in a bear market
nambi
“An investment operation is one which, upon thorough analysis, promises safety
of principal and an adequate return.”
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version