Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Our stocks. Buy hold or sell - The help ourselves Board
Message Icon Topic: TheequityDesk report card - June 2011 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 5:40pm
Thank you, as I say ideas can be borrowed or even stolen but not conviction that makes investing even more difficult then it actually is.

It is easy to buy a stock at the right time but somehow I have realised that one has to let go off the stuff at the opportune time as well Warren Buffett worked in an environemet where stocks were not discounting 40% CAGR hence the issues of getting out at the right time did not bother him as much as it would to investors in emerging markets.

More-over once the bubble starts building it is important not to sell too early or hold it too long. I wish I could have put some more sense into this statement but that is what makes me paranoid and keeps me in the world of educated guesswork if ever that can be of some help.

Originally posted by rinkumalpani

Originally posted by basant

and maybe at the right opportune time fold the cards and go to the next table something which not many have been able to do.

Congrats and thanks Basantji. Anybody who had conviction enough in you/TED( in the early days of TED) and have tried to utilise whatever one has learned on TED,should still be amongst the winners even if he does not identify the ooportune time and gets a bit early/late.The trick will always be to identify the next possible winning table in the early stages when the seats/chairs are cheap and empty and nobody understands that trick better than you. so, please do hint towards the table. The able teddies, am sure, will surely find a chair for themselves.

Thanking you once again
Malpani

Edited by basant - 05/Jul/2011 at 5:41pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
zulfi

Quote zulfi Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 5:58pm
hi sir , y voltas has been so laggard .pls share your views
IP IP Logged
prabhakarkudva

Quote prabhakarkudva Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 6:37pm

More-over once the bubble starts building it is important not to sell too early or hold it too long. I wish I could have put some more sense into this statement but that is what makes me paranoid and keeps me in the world of educated guesswork if ever that can be of some help.

Bubbles can rarely be analyzed by PEs and valuation excesses but the tops (or bottoms) can be evaluated reasonably well by the behavior of the people around you, don't you think?
Take your chances and keep them in a box until a quieter time.
IP IP Logged
rajnsharma

Quote rajnsharma Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by prabhakarkudva

Bubbles can rarely be analyzed by PEs and valuation excesses but the tops (or bottoms) can be evaluated reasonably well by the behavior of the people around you, don't you think?

I am no expert in finding tops but one should have a comfort level with the price. I you can't think of buying at those valuation, start counting the days when you need to sell. At the end of the day peaceful sleep is most important of all
Wall Street makes money by it's activity, while you can make money by your in-activity - Warren Buffett
IP IP Logged
subu76

Quote subu76 Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 8:36pm

More-over once the bubble starts building it is important not to sell too early or hold it too long.

Basant Sir...Golden words but unfathomable.

Please elaborate a bit more when convinient.
IP IP Logged
Monkey

Quote Monkey Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 9:07pm

I think it should not be too difficult to recognise bubble, though not bubble top. Signs could be historically high valuations for broad market, indexes creating record highs very often, huge divergence from 200 DMA and behaviour of people around you.

Nowadays, I do a small test. In any social gathering or conversation, I initiate something related to stocks. I have noticed that, nowadays, people are not interested in market. They somehow change the topic.

So, bubble needs to wait!!Tongue

IP IP Logged
nikhil090

Quote nikhil090 Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 9:08pm

Basantjee,

Would there be any way to identify the bubbles as and when it happens OR will it be easy to get swayed by "sustainable" consumption boom and all news flow? I really hope that nothing reaches 100 times PE as Infy of 2000 as then despite solid growth returns will be muted for couple of years.
IP IP Logged
rdyn

Quote rdyn Replybullet Posted: 05/Jul/2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Monkey

I think it should not be too difficult to recognise bubble, though not bubble top. Signs could be historically high valuations for broad market, indexes creating record highs very often, huge divergence from 200 DMA and behaviour of people around you.

Nowadays, I do a small test. In any social gathering or conversation, I initiate something related to stocks. I have noticed that, nowadays, people are not interested in market. They somehow change the topic.

So, bubble needs to wait!!Tongue

My aim is to read each and every post on TED!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version