Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Trading Psychology
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Trading Psychology
Message Icon Topic: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
BubbleVision

Online Status: Offline
Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 6:38pm
I think that this is a must read for you as you being a "Value" Investor .. must look at all the short commings of a company, which sometimes are decieved by the company in their own intrests.
I as a "Price" trader can go short or long on a particular stock, but you cannot lose a big amount if you are decieved by the company. This book looks at the way what are the tricks the company employ to trick investors into something which is "not value".
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
Equity Buff

Quote Equity Buff Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 7:22pm
Dear Bubblevision,

I am only talking about the review of the book "Sold Short", I have read the review and found it interesting.

Rgds
Equity Buff
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 14/Sep/2006 at 10:26am
Kulman...

I would like to request you to read Market wizards immidiately ... as the parachute seems to very much closed specially after reading something like this which you had posted in another forum...
--------------------------
I walked into a nearby cybercafe to check my e-mail, and what do I see: it was full of 20+ years olds "day-traders", watching charts/frantically drawing "channels", "fibonachi" and what not  etc etc...  I really feel for them.
--------------------------

I would like to request you to plz worry about only yourself and not someone else as
EveryThing works... What matters is what works for you.
The markets may be irrational longer than you can remain solvent and
Only when the tide turns... we know who was wearing what.
and everyone cannot be Warren Buffet because people like Richard Dennis, Tom Baldwin have also made money. One cant use buffetology everywhere as he himself found out in currencies.  

Please dont critisize Techinical Analysis (mathematics and statistical probability) any longer as it is used in every feild as weathermen use it to predict weather patterns and doctors also use it to check the human pulse rate and the temperature.

Fundamental and Technical... both work as only HardWork works. Hardwork is the only way to make money from the markets.

“Win or lose, everybody gets what they want from the market. Some people like to lose, so they win by losing money.” -- ED SEYKOTA
Those "20+Year old Day Traders" may be winning Experience.

Hope this helps

Edited by BubbleVision - 14/Sep/2006 at 11:08am
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
Ajith

Quote Ajith Replybullet Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 5:41pm
The 2 books by John  Train(he is himself a great investor) The Money Masters  and The New Money Masters are exceptionally good .John Train does a better job of explaining Peter  Lynch than Lynch himself.
 Ed Seykota 's quotation is really true and will strike a chord with one who has really played the markets.Its all in the mind.
I must read The Market Wizards-there are 3 in the series I found from the net.
Jim Rogers is one of the success stories analyzed by Edward  De Bono in his excellent book Tactics.(its not a book on invesment neverthless a must-read)
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 5:55pm
BubbleVision: your comment...
Please dont critisize Techinical Analysis (mathematics and statistical probability) any longer as it is used in every feild as weathermen use it to predict weather patterns and doctors also use it to check the human pulse rate and the temperature.

My only comments is that I sincerely hope that we do not end up in a clinic where the Doctor is who is not fundamentally sound and is referring Fibonachi levels for diagnosing our ECG chart!!! (take it lightly )

Edited by kulman - 15/Sep/2006 at 5:57pm
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 5:58pm
Those "20+Year old Day Traders" may be winning Experience.
Well said Bubble but I feel that your view is too broad. If you ask these 20 year olds to say are you satisfied losing money to gain experience then we know what their answer would be. Broadly experience is not what they are getting but something that they are settling for.

The next time when they are 30+ I bet 90% of them would do the same and when they are 40+ more then 75% will leave the markets with half of them blaming it on the operator and the other half on luck.

While these experiences are great but they have to be taken like that most of the losers take it as a a result so they never know that the process was wrong.

Most of the greats that you mentioned traded trends not days and these people play on margin with water running close to their nose.

Edited by basant - 15/Sep/2006 at 6:11pm
'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 6:05pm
Now that we are in weekend mood....

here is a joke I heard from a Technical Analyst himself (I'm censoring it slightly, as I do not want to use un-parliamentary words):

This guy (a TA) goes on a honeymoon to the Himalayas, books a five star deluxe room with a great view.

But a TA to the bone, he instead of concentrating activities inside the room, tries to explain to his beloved beautiful wife to watch from the window:  interesting patterns made by snow-peaked mountains of Himalayan Range like- double top, double bottom, head-and-shoulder!!!  

Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 15/Sep/2006 at 6:28pm
Ajitji, the 1st markets wizards has the interview of ED Seykota, in which he has said two or three really amazing quotes.....one more is about the joy of winning.... i will post it in the ED forum tommorrow as i am a bit busy today. That book also has the interview of Jim Rogers. Infact all the interviews are amazing.
Make sure that you take the latest version of the third book, as that was revised in 2003, with fresh updates on the wizards. In that book... Dana Gallante is a very very good read.

BasantJi
That is the way the markets go and that is why 95% lose and only 5% Win. It is only a game of who is the mentally strongest.
I trade only trends and that too long term trends.....
Infact i believe in currencies no one wins.....apart from the brokers, as most trade for next 10-Minutes 

Kulman -- great to see the parachute is wide open as but surely the medical and the geographical fields use TA.

The markets are always changing....They are always the same
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version