Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Portfolio Check Up
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Portfolio Check Up
Message Icon Topic: The Gitas and the Bibles of Investment! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
Equity Buff

Online Status: Offline
Quote Equity Buff Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:34pm
Yes, I mean The New Buffetology and also the earlier book Buffetology.
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 8:51pm

Nice to know your viewpoint on this subject, BubbleVision!

You mentioned that value-investing involves stop-losses: Sorry, value investing is buying something at a price which is worth much more. Value investor would never apply stop losses.  

It is all about identifying companies with "long-term durable competitive advantage", with proven management, and buying them cheap (during temporary bad news).

And about your view on currency market (which is the largest in terms of volume) or for that matter commodities futures, I have seen people lose their net worth in matter of hours. Futures markets were created for price discovery and hedging, but look at the way people trade on MCX/NCDEX, all sattebaji. Look at what carnage happened yesterday in global commodities, zinc, nickel, gold, silver....all the stop losses triggered? I'm against leveraged trading altogether.

My own view is that capital markets are most of the times irrational. And as investors we should try to take advantage of the situation. That's all.

I'm not against your opinion at all. I hope I have made point clear.

Edited by kulman - 28/Mar/2008 at 11:56pm
Life can only be understood backwards—but it must be lived forwards
IP IP Logged
Equity Buff

Quote Equity Buff Replybullet Posted: 12/Sep/2006 at 9:38am
Yes, I completely agree with Kulman. No disrespect meant to anyone elses view point.

Equity Buff.

IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 1:07pm
Hi Kulman,
First of all congrats on getting so many of the calls suscessful.

I would once again recommend every one to read "Market Wizards", as there you would read about someone called "Tom Baldwin" for whom Long term is Next 10-Minutes has made $300Million over 10-Years. He traded Bonds on the CME and is a pit trader. He started with $2000-$5000 (approx). I think his profits are very big sum for every one of us.  

Yes people lose all their worth in "Satta", because well they are doing "Satta" and are not using technicals or Fundamentals. I too am against leveraged trading.
and not to mention

Plz Dont confuse Brains with a Bull Market......

Read "Market Wizards".....
Mind is like a parachute.. Best used when open...

"Everything works.. What matters is what works for you".

Best of luck buddy...

Edited by BubbleVision - 13/Sep/2006 at 1:34pm
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 5:09pm
One exeptional book to read is "How I Made $2 Million in the Stock Market" by Nicholas Darvas.
Actually when i read it i just could not keep it down as the book is so intresting. It is also a small book with just 60 pages. I read the book in one single night.
It is a story of how a American nightclub dancer called Nicholas Darvas made a fortune for himself while on a world tour. And he also visited Kolkata during the tour.
Actually it is a must read
You can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...It's like willing to breathe in but not willing to breathe out. -- ED SEYKOTA ....Read Disclaimer!
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 5:21pm

Thanks BubbleVision

You seem to be a voracious reader. Nice to know about this book.

By the way, my parachute is always wide open !!

IP IP Logged
BubbleVision

Quote BubbleVision Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 5:58pm
Ya i have read many many more books.. Mostly on TA and On risk Management and Trading Psychology. I have also read peter lynch book. That is the only Funda book that i have read.... I will post more enteries as an when i recolleat them...
Another great one would be "The Disciplined Trader" by Mark Douglas. Mind you that is a bit complicated book.
Also read "Sold Short : Uncovering Deception in the Markets " by  Manuel P. Asensio. This is acutally a must read for you.

Edited by BubbleVision - 13/Sep/2006 at 6:01pm
IP IP Logged
kulman

Quote kulman Replybullet Posted: 13/Sep/2006 at 6:04pm
Also read "Sold Short : Uncovering Deception in the Markets " by  Manuel P. Asensio. This is acutally a must read for you.

BubbleVision: Please elaborate why MUST READ for me? Do you find any lacunae in my approach? Please be frank to openly criticise my shortcomings. At least it will give me an opportunity to improve...as I said my parachute is wiiiiiiiiiiiide open!!!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 108 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version