Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Trading Psychology
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Trading Psychology
Message Icon Topic: When Buffett got behind the curve. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
mack
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote mack Replybullet Posted: 10/May/2010 at 7:16pm
bihisello, if nobody has made comparisons between them TEDians can do that !!! and on which forum other than this one about buffet and during all these hullaboo about his coming to India ?
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something
IP IP Logged
chimak10

Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 10/May/2010 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by LearningToFly

Is it so? Can you cite some proof. I am also a big fan of RJ and would love to know the CAGR for a significant number of years. This is not to argue but just to know if there is anyone who has beaten Buffet consistently for a significant number of years (may be 15-20 years)

Originally posted by chimak10

RJ has beaten buffets rate of return by very big margin for a very long period too.

Hmmm...... I did read somewhere that RJ rate of return is around 50% CAGR. He started out with 5000 Rs. now he is worth around a billion dollar worth so you can calculate it.

IP IP Logged
chimak10

Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 10/May/2010 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by bihisello

How this argument (WB v/s RJ) will help/educate anyone here?

First of all this your second time you are telling me this quote aboutinvestor education................I ONLY POST IN NON STOCK RELATED THREADS AS I CONSIDER MYSELF DUMBO.

NOW FOR THE EDUCTION PART IF IN 2003-2007 BULL MARKET YOU HAD GONE AS PER BUFFET FORUMLA OF INVESTMENT THEN YOU WOULD HAVE MADE VERY POOR RETURNS ON YOUR INVESTMENT ( HUL, COLGATE, NESTLE )

But if you have followed RJ forumla of growth stock you would have made excellent results. ( PRAJ, PRIL, TITAN, LUPIN ) all growth stock with no moat,no entry barriers, poor track record,.

I hope you would be somewhat EDUCATED.

IP IP Logged
chimak10

Quote chimak10 Replybullet Posted: 10/May/2010 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by bihisello

How this argument (WB v/s RJ) will help/educate anyone here?

You are continuously rubbing me off with this comment..................................i think this is second or third time.

NOW THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HOW BUFFET STAYED BEHIND THE CURVE..............It is not a INVESTOR EDUCATIVE blog post it more of a opinion post.

And beside what were you hoping to learn from this thread in your INVESTOR EDUCATIVE mental framework.
IP IP Logged
funkyappu

Quote funkyappu Replybullet Posted: 10/May/2010 at 8:37pm
LOL
IP IP Logged
PKB2000

Quote PKB2000 Replybullet Posted: 10/May/2010 at 11:45pm

[QUOTE=LearningToFly]

Hmmm...... I did read somewhere that RJ rate of return is around 50% CAGR. He started out with 5000 Rs. now he is worth around a billion dollar worth so you can calculate it.

'
I recollect probably from a Tv interview that Rakeshji started with 50000- 100000 as his intial investment and probably with the help from his uncle (who was working with IT department that time - I MAY BE 100% WRONG). I am not qualifying for my general knowledge on Rakesh ji BY SAYING SO but definitely I will be very interested to read if I get something like An autobiography of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala. (Especially if compared with something like An autobiography of WB.)
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso
IP IP Logged
LearningToFly

Quote LearningToFly Replybullet Posted: 11/May/2010 at 12:03pm
Not the right way to calculate. RJ did start with 5000 Rs in 1985 but doesn't mean that he did not get further money from outside for investment. He himself bought Tata tea share worth 2 lakhs Rs in 1985 and sold it in 1986 at huge profit.

It is like this. I started investment with 20,000 bucks but I am also adding up to my investment every month by 10000 - 20000 based on how much I can save.

Anyway, let's not discuss this. Both RJ and WB are great investor and role model. It will not be right to downplay one. I asked the question so that I can know the right data.

Success... at all cost.
IP IP Logged
chaudhuris
Groupie
Groupie

Quote chaudhuris Replybullet Posted: 11/May/2010 at 1:48pm

Having spent a little time studying Buffett, I can safely say that he has clearly articulated many times why he has not invested in India so far. Buffett works differently. He buys on his terms not on someone else's term. He has his mental checklist on what his expectations are from a company and its management and there are few companies in India that satisfy those criteria. Not to mention the hazaar red tape and bottlenecks from the government side. For example: Buffett wanted to have his own insurance operation in India, but government rules do not allow that.

My brother worked in investment banking and one friend works in commodities with an MNC while another was with a credit rating agency - all in India. There are enough horror stories there that you don't get to hear of. No one wants to lose business so they allow a lot of things pushed under the carpet that individual investors don't get to hear of. On corporate transparency our home grown companies are mostly the PITS.

Lastly, this does not mean that other legendary value investors do not invest in India. Ruane, Cunniff, Goldfarb does and they are the folks that Buffett asked the investors in his partnerships to invest with when he wound his partnerships up.

Comparing RJ and WB is like comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by basant - 11/May/2010 at 3:57pm
Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only when the last fish has been caught
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. ~ Cree Philosophy
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 12 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version