Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sector talk
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Sector talk
Message Icon Topic: Samir Arora talks to the members of TheEquityDesk. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 9 Next >>
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by mira

somehow i feel that he is not the same samir arora he used to be prior to the crash of 2008 . I think his investment philosophy has gone a sea change .

Why would you say that? Can you be a bit more elaborate in this?

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
leo2007

Quote leo2007 Replybullet Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:33pm
Concentration should evolve with some stocks doing really well and not by your buying them in a concentrated fashion.
=====================================
SA has given  a different defenition of concentrated portfolio.
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:48pm
Thank you very much Basant jee. And a lot of thanks to Samir jee really for taking time out to answer. Thank you both of you!!!
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
mira
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mira Replybullet Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:55pm
previously he used to be very bullish and was unperturbed by crash like the one in 2004 or the one in 2006 . He has made his life difficult by doing all this long/short phenomenon. He might be quite succesful at this one but we all know the samir arora for all his excellent investment calls in satyam , zee etc. in the nineties , bharti , pantaloon in the early two thousand. With the mandate at alliance capital his performance in investment calls were excellent but after leaving alliance and in his new helios fund i feel he is a bit shaky after the 2008 crashes. I had followed a few of his seminars and interviews on tv and somehow feel that he is a bit confused with his investment philosophy now a days. Lastly i must say that i am too small to judge a person like samir arora who has been a phenomenon in his own way but i have stated what i felt like and i am sorry if i had hurt any bodys feeling
god is great
IP IP Logged
Khan

Quote Khan Replybullet Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 12:58pm
Thanks Basantji..
from the following statement,

"Concentration should evolve with some stocks doing really well and not by your buying them in a concentrated fashion. "

does it imply that, SA proposes an equal weighted investment strategy? Decide on stocks to invest and make regular investents? 
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten
IP IP Logged
stockwizard
Groupie
Groupie

Quote stockwizard Replybullet Posted: 25/Aug/2009 at 9:02am
One of the areas which is really under penetrated is cold storage.. where companies like voltas, bluestar and new entrants like container corp are prominent picks.. but it is not urban oriented by large..
IP IP Logged
prashantmohta

Quote prashantmohta Replybullet Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 1:01pm
Whether lic housing is considered to be 2 largest hfc co.
Inside Icici,pnb, sbi all are doing.

In 1994 lic s price was 100 rs and today it is 672 not a great compounder .
IP IP Logged
Hitesh Shah

Quote Hitesh Shah Replybullet Posted: 27/Aug/2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by prashantmohta

Whether lic housing is considered to be 2 largest hfc co.
Inside Icici,pnb, sbi all are doing.

In 1994 lic s price was 100 rs and today it is 672 not a great compounder .

I'm not sure that SA is a buy-n-hold type of guy. He sees his opportunities and acts accordingly so he may not be looking for, or advocating, steady compounders.

Edited by Hitesh Shah - 27/Aug/2009 at 1:19pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 9 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version