Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Fundamental
 The Equity Desk Forum :Market Strategies :Fundamental
Message Icon Topic: Indian Markets and the so called experts! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 27 Next >>
prashantmohta

Online Status: Offline
Quote prashantmohta Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 9:49am
Though he is not good at stock picking but one thing I like about him that he doesnot time the market.
IP IP Logged
Vivek Sukhani

Quote Vivek Sukhani Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 10:07am
Well, I have also seen big bulls getting horribly wrong. So, we can also single them out for some special treatment.

The thing is, rationality is a very scarce resource and not everyone is blessed with it. And the worst part is, those lucky ones who are blessed with it, dont share it.

By the way, other than Udayan, i dont see anyone worth listening to on CNBC. Those whos I used to like for their views, like Amit Dalal and Gul Tekchandani are nowhere to be seen on CNBC.
Jai Guru!!!
IP IP Logged
suyogagrawal

Quote suyogagrawal Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 10:59am
Basant ji,
Thankyou for putting your thoughts in words. I sometime back attended the CNBC conference on the budget expectations where i had a chance to meet Mr. Honey banana and the Pink Panther. Panther went on record saying that he burnt his fingers(or rather his claws and tail as well) trying to time the market. When someone  asked Mr. banana thay why were they sitting on 30-40% cash when stocks were at there lowest levels all he had to say is that "Boss, bad me kehna bahut asan hota hai, agar CITI bankrupt ho jata to sensex 3000 par aa jata"
All these people Mr. banana, Pink PAnther, Rhythm, Mukhallerjee all one single cartel and change their direction in that of the wind.
Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts...
IP IP Logged
j2eeprofessiona

Quote j2eeprofessiona Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Vivek Sukhani

By the way, other than Udayan, i dont see anyone worth listening to on CNBC. Those whos I used to like for their views, like Amit Dalal and Gul Tekchandani are nowhere to be seen on CNBC.

I share the same views with addendum that other than CNBC, there's no other business channel which is even worth mentioning (though I have started liking UTVi business a bit)...I guess Gul Tekchandani is seen on his show on CNBC awaaz where is discusses stuff with SP Tulsian, and i really like that show for the honesty of his views....I also love listening to PN Vijay...he was the ONLY ONE who was stubbornly asking the viewers to start investing big time in March and guess what, thus far he has not been invited again on CNBC (hilarious isnt it).......I really like his study of the macro economic environment.....

IP IP Logged
ashishbarot
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ashishbarot Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:10am
Good stuff  basant sir, but every 3 people from 10 go with the advices from TV channels and land up with big losses. If at least a single person will change his mind by reading this topic i think our work is done.
You do not require an invitation to make profits.
IP IP Logged
catcall

Quote catcall Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:32am
Basantji, this is why "successful" anchors need a political background, which would have trained them to "hedge their positions" . Note that Mitali holds a gold medal from Delhi University in Political Science, while Latha graduated in Economics and Politics and has a doctoral degree in Political Science
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate-when he can't afford it and when he can-Happy investing!
IP IP Logged
gauravsinghal2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gauravsinghal2 Replybullet Posted: 25/Jun/2009 at 11:39am
Well a very well analyzed article by Mr. Basant.

But I would say that we should look the other side also...

for instance, when sensex was at 17k, ridham desai in an interview told that I will start buyibg when it reaches 10k... 10k was unimaginable during the euphoria days even at sensex 17k. He clearly mentioned that it is a cyclical bear downturn for India also... No other person said so at that time. And within 6-8 month, sensex indeed broke 10k.

The Taandav performing 'Shankar' Sharma- in early 2008 itself started screaming- 'Sell and go home'. He might have announced it out of his wild imaginations, but it turned out to be correct at least. I remember reading him on moneycontrol 20 days before Lehman bankruptcy that atleast a big bank can go 'belly-up' in US, and this will wreck havoc in the world. All our Indian media was repeating that India will remain relatively insular from the world till that time. He only advised to remain away from the market. So at times he was correct also.

But yes the same 'super intelligent' Shankar Sharma lost his wisdom to his intelligence when he was made the God of the World by the media. Encouraged by his bear predictions' success, he became over enthuzed to completely lose touch with common sense. I remember reading one of his reports that predicted Unitech at 10 and DLF at 50, because they were essentially crap stocks!

On the other side we had RJ also getting completely shocked when nifty broke 3700 support, and went all the way to ~2250. Remember him clearly telling Namrata Brar- "I think market has already made a bottom last week (at 3700)". Went awfully wrong. Anyone!

And again he came back at 3000 to tell that the recovery is very near, remain fully invested and invest in highly risky stocks. This time again no one so clear like him, all others are expressing opinions about a 'range'.

I also remember Buffet also brushing the fears aside in initial phases, and then turning very cautious after Oct-2008.

So, my point is that every one has got right and wrong, at times.

Let me finish the story by reminding about Basant sir's post in March 2009-  Indian Stocks – Time to aggressively load on!,

and to quote,

"This bull market is very much alive and kicking and at the cost of putting my head out I would like to assume that we will see significantly higher levels before we get into an extended bear hug. This is as good a time to buy stocks."

-04 March 2008.

So again, every one can go right and wrong, at times.

Truly speaking only long term that market can be predicted!

And one already knows, 80% of the people coming to the channel come to predict what will happen the next day, and in that week. And essentially this cant be predicted- this can't be predicted!

IP IP Logged
vishmitt
Groupie
Groupie

Quote vishmitt Replybullet Posted: 26/Jun/2009 at 12:20pm

Great piece, Basant !!! I couldn't have expressed my own thoughts in a better manner.

I think of all the people who come on TV, only RJ and VB make sense. Its not that they dont get it wrong sometimes, but their hit ratio is far better, and they let their mind control their emotions. I also trust their intentions. I havent followed SA extensively, but he always seems bullish to me.   

But I have some sympathy for some of these experts. The gatekeeper has to talk something all the time and thus has to focus on minute by minute movements. He cant just say - there was some usual buying or selling today, so shut your TV for the day - he will lose his job !! Similarly, unlucky sharma makes money by getting people to trade - so its better if everybody becomes a day trader and focuses on quarterly numbers and weekly stock movement.

I think the basic issue is that people expect these guys to make money for them - its not their job! Their job is to make money for themselves - and they are doing a great job at that by focusing on the short term, and wildly swinging between greed and fear. 

Anyways, while a Tendulkar will prefer Test over T20, a common TV spectator will undoubetly go for the latter !!    
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 27 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version