Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Value buys - The intrinsic value is close to market price
 The Equity Desk Forum :Investment Ideas - Creating winning portfolios! :Value buys - The intrinsic value is close to market price
Message Icon Topic: Let's Introduce ourselves Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 195 Next >>
tigershark

Online Status: Offline
Quote tigershark Replybullet Posted: 25/Oct/2006 at 9:56pm
name:dr vivek naik,ophthalmologist,investor since 1995 first significant investment INFY in 1995 still own some shares.investing has now bcom  greater than my original professionalthough i do not neglect that either.pastimes:travelling,scuba diving,nature photography,fitness freak,and a soccer fanatic.location:GOA.at the presnt reading FREAKONOMICS.last place visited-californiasept2006.thought for the day:small caps under good managements and reasonable earnings one day bcom large caps.
understanding both the power of compound return and the difficulty getting it is the heart and soul of understanding a lot of things
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 25/Oct/2006 at 10:08pm
Hi,

I am Shashi s. Praharaj

I am 50 years old and probably the oldest member of the forum.
I am working in a public sector Bank for last 26 years.

I have worked in around 10 states and in many capacities. I was inducted to IT in 1992, through an internal selection process and for last 7 years I am posted in Mumbai.
Currently I am the IT head of Mumbai Region of our Bank.

I have done my M.Sc. after which I joined the Bank. I did my LLB after that.
While in Bank, I did my MBA (Finance).

Though I am into so many things, my interest is in stock market. I was first inducted into the stock market in 1982, when I applied for GNFC public Issue. I have seen many ups and downs in the stock market and for a brief period I was out of the market. I lost a lot of money during Harshad Mehta clash and learned a lot about market dynamics. After that I remained out of the market for 3-4 years. Then I realised, that by quitting the market, I am proving myself to be an escapist. If I have lost in the market, it is the market which can makeup my loss and make my fortune. By staying away, not only, I have already lost, there is no chance of winning in future. Now I am cautious and I am winning. With friends like Basant and Internet, I beleive I am in the right track.

My style of investing now is a little different. I have two kinds of portfolio. One in which blue chips are there. They may be as little as 5shares or maybe max 300 of a company. I don't sell these shares. Sometimes I add 5 or 10 shares of a new blue chip company, when I have some extra money. There is a principle. These shares can be sold in emergency, that is for children's education or hospitalisation.

The other portfolio is for real investing. I prefer potential multi baggers in this category. I could only get one real multibagger so far in this category, that is Kirloskar Brothers. Now I am invested in  TTML, Gitanjali, TV-18, Orchid Chemicals, AB Novo and Bharthi Shipyard. As I don't have big money, I have limited no of shares also, and I am gradually adding.

One of my passions is reading good books. I read any good book, I get. In half an hour time I decide whether the book is worth reading or not and proceed accordingly.

I am also interested in art and especially  paintings. I have done a six month evening course in Appreciation of Art from National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi. To be frank this course I enjoyed the most, and it was a sort of eye opener for me. I can not draw a line, but I can distinguish from a bad painting and a good painting.

I hope I have written enough about me.

I am really thankful to Basant for making this site. Its like a addiction for me now. I don't feel comfortable, if I don't see the site at least once a day.

Edited by s_praharaj - 25/Oct/2006 at 10:11pm
Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
omshivaya

Quote omshivaya Replybullet Posted: 25/Oct/2006 at 10:30pm
Wow Praharaj sir. Please bless me so that I may reach my target in the next 3 years itself(out of context of this topic, sorry Basant ji). Sir, your qualifications are as great as is your humility. Thanks for being a part of this website.
The most important quality for an investor is temperament,not intellect.A temperament that neither derives great pleasure from being with the crowd nor against it
IP IP Logged
basant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote basant Replybullet Posted: 25/Oct/2006 at 10:36pm

Om Shivaya is right SIr, you are indeed an exception on this forum. We may find many people experienced in different areas but to have undergone formal education for each of these three different streams (arts, commerce and science) is indeed praiseworthy. It is an honour to have you with us.  

'The Thoughtful Investor: A Journey to Financial Freedom Through Stock Market Investing' - A Book on Equity Investing especially for Indian Investors. Book your copy now: www.thethoughtfulinvestor.in
IP IP Logged
s_praharaj

Quote s_praharaj Replybullet Posted: 25/Oct/2006 at 10:43pm

Thanks Basant and Om Namah Shivaya for the kind words.

Today's time is to be the best in any field you choose.

I feel privilaged to be in your company and forum members.

Thanx a lot.

Edited by s_praharaj - 25/Oct/2006 at 10:44pm
Shashi Praharaj
IP IP Logged
vijinat

Quote vijinat Replybullet Posted: 26/Oct/2006 at 4:46pm
I am Vijayalakshmi Natarajan, from Bangalore. I took VRS from RBI due to my perennial ill health. I found an engaging work (started initially as a hobby, but later turned out to be an engaging work)in trading stocks. The challenge is really exciting and pleasantly rewarding. Though long term investing is ideal, it is difficult to embrace it wholeheartedly, to be frank with. About 25% of my investment is not long term and perhaps that is why I see the work quite interesting and exciting.The one thing I am particular about is that i am not governed by the fear-factor under any circumstances. So every night I go to sleep, I sleep well. Finally I would like to share my impression about this site. In this site, there is no worshipper of any one, though we are a great nation of worshippers, worshipping anyone who would like to do some good but would ultimately become a prey before the worshippers. I wish the members of this site (most of whom appear to be stunningly youthful in their age) would continue to hold their good habit of worshipping nobody.
IP IP Logged
manishkayal

Quote manishkayal Replybullet Posted: 30/Oct/2006 at 4:09pm
Hello All,

I am Manish Kayal from Mumbai. A Chartered Accountant & a CFA Level 2 (USA) passout. Working in a Hedge Fund Administrator called GlobeOp Financial Services Pvt Ltd since the last 2 years. Started tracking the Stock Market very recently and came accross this site which have given ample knowledge. I will be working with the CitiGroup from Mid Nov in their Offshore Equity Research Dept.
If you want any info from me then you are anytime welcome for that.
Basantji - Again Congrats on making such a great website for starters like us. Best of luck to other Senior members for their great contribution specifically Kulmanji, reetesh, BubbleVision, etc.
Bye & Take Care.
Manish Kayal.

Edited by manishkayal - 30/Oct/2006 at 5:39pm
IP IP Logged
marketbuzz

Quote marketbuzz Replybullet Posted: 04/Nov/2006 at 2:32pm
Hi Guys
I am Praveen, a Software engineer from Noida.
Stock Market investing is my passion and i firmly believ that stock market investing can lead to great riches. I am not a day trader.
I am looking for friend who have similar interest,
and are willing to move forward in this area by sharinig of ideas,
knowledge by discussions, meetings etc.
I want to form a group of investor friends who can meet, discuss n move ahead in this area.
I joined this forum today n i think this a very good place to make friends with similar interests.

Thanks
- Praveen
I do it becoz I Like it!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 195 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version